This course is split in one day to cover two essential subjects. The techniques regards with hazardous substances in the workplace, such as COSHH assessments.
Followed by an in depth discussion on the risks and controls associated with working with crystalline silica (currently one the HSE’s hot topics)
The course can be fully tailored to meet your risk profile and internal management system requirements and has a suggested topic structure of the following:
- Awareness of the different types of hazardous substances
- HAZCHEM labels and how to identify levels of risk
- How to obtain material safety data sheets and how to interpret the information provided
- How to complete a COSHH assessment and how to cross reference to MSDS
- How to use a basic COSHH assessment using the HSE process
- Basic understanding of REACH and employer requirements
- Different types of PPE and the importance of selection
- How dust is generated
- Locations where dust may be concentrated
- Different levels of silica in different materials, also how exposure may change
- Effects that exposure to dust could have on people
- Available dust control techniques
- How to check a dust mask, how to wear it correctly and store it correctly
- Reasons why vacuuming systems must be used
- Monitoring techniques, dust monitoring reports and current workplace exposure limits
- Basic controls in relation to mobile plant and how behaviour can increase exposure
- HSE COSHH essentials and where to locate them
This area is major focus area for the HSE with many inspectors now focussing their discussions to the workforce, rather than solely the management team.
Unfortunately, many companies do not focus their strategy and training onto the essential occupational health controls, with their major emphasis being on the safety element.
Let us help you to deliver a program which focusses on the major occupational health risks of your operations.