Practically designed course by former quarry managers on the key aspects of the Quarries Regulations 1999 and techniques on how you can comply with the legal requirements
- Meanings of specific definitions outlined in the Quarries Regulations 1999
- What is defined as a quarry and what is not
- How to demonstrate where the regulations apply
- Fundamental duties of the quarry operator
- Site health and safety document – content and use
- Regulation 8 – appointments, duties and responsibilities
- Management structure – how to put together and demonstrate
- Competence for specific roles in the quarry – how to demonstrate
- Main requirements of ‘Quarry Rules’ – how to implement
- Review health and safety performance of a site operation and team
- Site inspection schemes – implementation, monitoring and review
- Quarry design, faces, benches, haul roads and stockpiles
- Site vehicle rules – content and implementation
- Resources required for emergency preparedness
- Barriers – assessment to determine security needs
- Know what a permit to work is and when this may be required
- Different types of emergency drills and reviewing performance
- Danger areas – how to manage and control
- Lighting levels – fixed and temporary controls
- Operator’s duties in relation to drilling and blasting operations
- Understand operator’s role in misfires and corrective measures
- Duties in relation to design, construction, operation and maintenance of E&T
- E&T rules – implementation, worker involvement and review
- Reg 32 appraisals – how they work and roles involved
- Reviewing a geotechnical assessment and the actions outlined within, recognising change
- Can explain basic requirements of tips records
- Employee cooperation and workforce involvement techniques to improve safety culture
The course is assessed by a short multi-choice question sheet.
Please note we also provide personal coaching and mentoring in relation to all aspects of Quarry Management, including Directors, Area Managers and Site Management personnel please contact us for more details.
You may also be interested in our vocational qualifications in relation to managing operations in the mineral products sector.
Who is it for?Anyone holding or working towards a quarry management or supervisory position who is responsible for compliance with the Quarries Regulations 1999. Please note this course is not recommended for operatives.
DurationApproximately 7 hours
Group size4 to 10
This course can be customised to suit your specific needs.